Welcome to our 2018 CSA page!
What is a CSA?
CSA stands for Community Shared Agriculture.
The idea is that farmers and community members work together in a supportive relationship. The members of our CSA (you) pay the farmers (us) at the beginning of the growing season for 18 weekly boxes full of fresh, organic, local produce. By selling memberships in advance of the growing season, a CSA reduces the burden of up-front costs for the farmer. Your membership fee enables the farmer to purchase equipment and supplies before the season starts, and also provides stability by giving access to a predictable and guaranteed market, which helps the farmer save time and reduce waste. In turn, members have the benefits of receiving a bounty of the freshest possible organic produce, reduced trips to the grocery store, the opportunity to try new vegetables, and a weekly newsletter that includes recipe ideas, which aims to keep members connected to where their food is being grown.
Is the CSA a good fit for me?
We love the CSA model, however, it is not a good fit for everyone! If you agree with the points listed below, you will likely have a great experience being a member of our CSA.
- I like trying new foods
- I like to eat locally and seasonally
- I enjoy cooking and experimenting with foods I may not usually eat
- I am okay with the farmers, rather than myself, deciding which vegetables I will receive each week
- Vegetables make up a significant part of my diet
Here are a few more key points about our 2018 CSA (more details can be found in the CSA agreement below).
- We have planned for our CSA to begin in early June, and run for 18 weeks. The exact start date will be dependent upon the spring weather which will affect our planting times and how fast the vegetables grow.
- There is a set day and time each week for your box pick-up, and it has changed from last year. Salmo members will pick up from our farm Wednesday evenings from 4:30-6:30PM, and Nelson members will pick up from Cottonwood Park on Monday evenings from 4:30-6:30PM.
- We are offering 2 share sizes: Large and small. A large share has a value of $25/week, and a small share has a value of $17/week. In general, a small share is suitable for a single person, or a family that has a garden but needs a supplement. Otherwise, a large share is your best bet.
- We have a vacation option this year. You can opt to sign up for the full season (18 weeks) but only pay for 16 weeks of vegetables. Give us a bit of notice and you can skip 2 box pickups at any point during the season.
- We are planning on having several options for “add ons” to your box this year such as gourmet mushrooms. Stay tuned for more details!
- Price: A large share is $450, or $400 with the vacation option. A small share is $306, or $272 with the vacation option. Pay your $50 deposit now to secure your spot!
How to Sign-Up for our CSA
As of early February, we have our crop plan finished, our seeds ordered, and are anticipating our first sowing date! It is incredibly helpful to us if we know how many CSA members we need to grow food for as early in the season as possible. The earlier you can sign up, the better prepared we will be!
Here’s what you need to do if you’re interested in signing up:
- Read the CSA agreement below and make sure that you understand exactly what you’re signing up for.
- If you are a returning member, you only need to fill out the CSA Member Information form if your contact info has changed since last season. If you are a new member, please fill out the member information form below and email it back to us (or give it to us in person if that’s easier for you). If you have difficulty filling out the form you can just send us an email with all the necessary information.We require a $50 deposit to secure your spot. The balance of the cost of the share will be due on May 1st. We are able to offer a more flexible payment schedule if required, please contact us for more details.
New for 2018! We have partnered with “Mr. Mercy’s Mushrooms”, a new Kaslo-based, gourmet mushroom business! This year, we will be offering a mushroom “add-on” option to your box – you can purchase a mushroom share and receive a 1/2lb of a selection of local, gourmet mushrooms every 2nd week. The total cost for a share (9 weeks of mushrooms throughout the 18 week CSA season, $7.50/week) is $67.50. If you would like more than a 1/2lb share, you can increase your share size by 1/2lb increments to suit your fancy. Please let us know if you would like to sign up for a mushroom share, or if you have any questions. Payment for the mushroom share can be done through e-transfer or paid to us the first week of box pickups.
Here is a short bio of Robin:
Robin Mercy, owner of Mr. Mercy’s Mushrooms, has been growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms in Kaslo since 2016. Focusing on wood-loving strains such as Oysters, Elms and Lion’s Mane, he grows under shade outdoors, using hardwood chips and sawdust for fruiting media. Robin is excited to share his enthusiasm for all things mushroom with more and more people, and is looking forward to a big farm expansion and longer growing season in 2018, as well as lots of wild foraging. All of Mr. Mercy’s Mushrooms are seasonally grown, and picked fresh daily.